Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Word from Your Pastor December 5

Dear Parishioners:

As you are aware, I host my family every Thanksgiving. This custom in our family began in 1988, when I realized that the place where I was living was bigger than my family home and would accommodate everyone who would be coming. I volunteered one year, and it has happened every year since except one when I was away for studies. (That year, I heard, “it did not seem like Thanksgiving.”) This year, we had only 28 for the meal, with a few others coming in later in the day. Many ask whether I cook also. Yes, I am happy to say, I cook two turkeys and I stuff them myself. They get started at Midnight the previous night, just the way Grandma used to do it. The whole house has a wonderful smell of baking turkey. Others bring in their specialties. One brother does a deep-fried turkey, another brings gnocchi and roles, Mom and my sister do the potatoes, an aunt does desserts, and others bring in something for all to enjoy. We have a Mass together and then set out the fixings. After the meal, a brother gets the cleaning crew going and then I settle in to make turkey soup while everyone does their thing – watching a ball game, playing cards, visiting and catching up. A cousin who is a chiropractor even brings his table and sets everyone straight for the next year.

It is all family. And I love it. I wish everyone could experience it this way. I share all this just to let you know that it is possible. We are a Parish Family and we can be there for one another at a depth that no one else who has not experienced it can imagine. May we grow in our ability to do this through the Season of Advent and the years ahead.

Please plan to participate in our Advent Penance Service this Thursday evening. We will have many priests present to offer you the healing touch of the Lord’s Mercy and Forgiveness.




28 at table for Fr. Tim’s Family Thanksgiving






The Year of Prayer: Advent II Collect

Stir up our hearts, O Lord,
to prepare the paths of thine Only-begotten Son:
that we may worthily serve thee
with hearts purified by His coming:
Who livest and reignest with God the Father
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
ever one God, world without end. Amen.

(May be said while lighting the second Advent Candle)

No comments:

Post a Comment