Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Word from Your Pastor May 1

Dear Parishioners:

One of the greatest moments of my life took place when I was a sophomore in College participating in a foreign study program in Rome. April 16, 1978, I was present in St. Peter’s Square when Pope John Paul II was announced as our new Holy Father after the untimely death of Pope John Paul I. I have vivid memories of that event, and they are renewed as we observe today the Beatification of Pope John Paul II.

Our celebration of the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick at all the Masses of this weekend is a wonderful reminder of what Blessed Pope John Paul II’s ministry. He was a healer and a Pope who spoke words of Hope to all people. In his own life, he witnessed to an unswerving Faith that accepted whatever Providence allowed to happen. He trusted in God’s Mercy. He told us all “Be not afraid.” In everything he did, he said “May Jesus Christ be praised!” I can still hear his voice ringing in my ears: “Sia lodato Gesù Cristo!” to which the response was “Sempre sia lodato!” that is, “May he ever be praised!”

Blessed Pope John Paul II is a reminder to the world of the Gift of Jesus Christ to all nations. His life and teaching are truly a gift to our time to assist us to meet the challenges of the present day. May we hear the invitation to trust in Divine Mercy, and may our lives be a sign to the world of the Truth of the Gospel.


The Year of Prayer: LITANY TO THE DIVINE MERCY
THE LOVE OF GOD IS THE FLOWER - HIS MERCY IS THE FRUIT


"Let the doubting soul read these considerations on the Divine Mercy and become trusting."

Divine Mercy, gushing forth from the bosom of the Father, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, greatest attribute of God, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, incomprehensible mystery, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, fount gushing forth from the mystery of the Most Blessed Trinity, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, unfathomed by any intellect, human or angelic, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, from which wells forth all life and happiness, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, better than the heavens, I trust in You

Divine Mercy, source of miracles and wonders, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, encompassing the whole universe, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, descending to earth in the Person of the Incarnate Word, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, which flowed out from the open wound of the Heart of Jesus, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, enclosed in the Heart of Jesus for us, and especially for sinners, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, unfathomed in the institution of the Sacred Host, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, in the founding of Holy Church, I trust in You

Divine Mercy, in the Sacrament of Holy Baptism, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, in our justification through Jesus Christ, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, accompanying us through our whole life, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, embracing us especially at the hour of death, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, endowing us with immortal life, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, accompanying us every moment of our life, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, shielding us from the fire of hell, I trust in You

Divine Mercy, in the conversion of hardened sinners, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, astonishment for Angels, incomprehensible to Saints, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, unfathomed in all the mysteries of God, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, lifting us out of every misery, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, source of our happiness and joy, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, in calling us forth from nothingness to existence, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, embracing all the works of His hands, I trust in You

Divine Mercy, crown of all of God’s handiwork, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, in which we are all immersed, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, sweet relief for anguished hearts, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, only hope for despairing souls, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, repose of hearts, peace amidst fear, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, delight and ecstasy of holy souls, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, inspiring hope against all hope, I trust in You

Eternal God, in whom mercy is unfathomable and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us and increase Your mercy in us, that in difficult moments we might not despair nor become despondent, but with great confidence submit ourselves to Your holy will, which is Love and Mercy, itself" (Diary 949).

Countdown to our Golden Jubilee: Getting to know Saint Timothy.

“Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, to the church of God that is in Corinth, with all the holy ones throughout Achaia: grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.” (II Corinthians 1:1-2)

“For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was proclaimed to you by us, Silvanus and Timothy and me, was not "yes" and "no," but "yes" has been in him.” (II Corinthians 1:19)

The Christian community finds its unity in relationship to Jesus Christ, a relationship that is discovered with a vertical dimension that is always made real in the horizontal dimension. In other words, God’s relationship to us in Christ is embodied in a living relationship with our brothers and sisters in Christ. Paul continues his correspondence to the Corinthians with a greeting of Grace and Peace and he acknowledges simply that this is a shared gift.

Paul also highlights the unity of mind and heart shared with all who preach the Truth about Jesus Christ. There is a unity of witness that the Corinthians, and all who read this letter, are invited to share. This kind of unity is much needed in our world today.

Reflections on the Liturgy: NICENE CREED

I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the Only Begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
consubstantial with the Father;
through him all things were made.

As we profess our Faith, we make use of the Nicene Creed, which was formulated with precise language to express the doctrine of the Church concerning the Holy Trinity and the relationship of God to His People. The changes in the first part of the section on the Son are to help us to express more clearly some of the truths that are confessed by the Church. The Credo expressed at the beginning is repeated here in translation, whereas in the Latin text it is implied. The singular voice of the One Body of Christ speaks with the many voices of the Faithful joined together.

The former translation gave only a partial expression of the first term used to speak of the Son. “Unigenitum” is now given its full meaning “Only Begotten.” Similarly, we now have in English a more direct translation of the express “ex Patre natum ante omnia saecula.” These expressions were melded together in the current version.

The use of the term “consubstantial” instead of the expression “One in Being” is meant to emphasize the sharing of Divine Being, rather than a “being in general.” All that is shares “being” with God. The Only-Begotten, Born before all ages Son of the Father shares Divine Substance with God the Father. His unity in Being is of a different level of reality. All the analogies used in the Creed are intended to highlight our Faith in the Divine Nature of the Son, made present to us in the Person of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment