Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Word from Your Pastor - June 2 Corpus Christi


Dear Parishioners:

The Solemnity of Corpus Christi, the Feast of the Body and Blood of the Lord, is a celebration Christ’s Gift to us of Himself. In this Gift, our whole life is taken up into the Life of Christ.  All that He IS as God, all that He is as a Human Being, all that He did and taught as He walked among us is ours in this Holy Banquet.  The Mystery of the Eucharist is as deep as the Mystery of God.  Our response to this Gift must be Faith and a commitment to live what we receive.

In practical terms, this means several things.  First, we must continually strive to put God first in our lives.  The sign that we are doing this is our participation in Mass each Sunday, and our involvement in the life and work of the Church.  It also means a conscious effort to reach out to others, sharing our Faith and inviting them to experience what God has given to us in the Sacraments, especially the Eucharist.

Today, we join Pope Francis and the Church throughout the world in a special time of Adoration of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament.  This is being observed between our 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. Masses, at the same time as Pope Francis is leading prayer in Rome (5 p.m. Rome time).  What a wonderful way to show we are a family united in Faith.

As you make plans for Summer, please keep God and your Parish in mind.  Don’t take a vacation from Mass attendance.  Wherever you go, take the time to research something about the local Catholic Church.  Also, be sure to keep your Stewardship coming to St. Timothy, either by sending your envelopes to the Parish Office or by EFT through the Parish website.

The big event of the Summer at St. Timothy, of course, is the St. Timothy Parish Festival.  This extravaganza is our big fund-raiser that helps us to offset the expenses of our School that go beyond what is covered by Tuition.  (All Funds raised from the Festival go toward the School budget.)  It also serves as an opportunity to show what is best about St. Timothy to our families, friends and neighbors.   The Dates for the Festival are July 12-13.  Pray for good weather and be ready to do your part.

 


Year of Faith October 11, 2012November 24, 2013

 We continue our journey through the Year of Faith.  As one way of observing this year, each week a small section of the Catechism of the Catholic Church is read before the start of Mass.  This is a small way of offering some food for growth in Faith throughout this year.
 

ARTICLE 2     THE TRANSMISSION OF DIVINE REVELATION

III. The Interpretation of the Heritage of Faith
IN BRIEF
96 What Christ entrusted to the apostles, they in turn handed on by their preaching and writing, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, to all generations, until Christ returns in glory.
97 “Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture make up a single sacred deposit of the Word of God” (Dei Verbum 10), in which, as in a mirror, the pilgrim Church contemplates God, the source of all her riches.
98 “The Church, in her doctrine, life, and worship, perpetuates and transmits to every generation all that she herself is, all that she believes” (Dei Verbum 8 §1).
99 Thanks to its supernatural sense of faith, the People of God as a whole never ceases to welcome, to penetrate more deeply, and to live more fully from the gift of divine Revelation.
100 The task of interpreting the Word of God authentically has been entrusted solely to the Magisterium of the Church, that is, to the Pope and to the bishops in communion with him.

Comment:  God has revealed Himself to us in Jesus Christ.  The Church has been entrusted with the Truth revealed and it is our task to hand on what we have received to each new generation.  The Magisterium of the Church, the living teaching authority guides us in the task we have been given.  How do you understand your own duty to share the Faith?  What helps do you need to be able to accomplish this?


A Note from Our Summer Seminarian

 


Dear Parishioners of St. Timothy's:

It is my pleasure to tell you a little bit about myself. I am Pushkar Baum a seminarian from the Josephinum, and I have been assigned to your parish for the summer. I look forward to getting to know you over the summer. I was born in India and at the age of three, I was adopted into a wonderful Catholic Family from Newark Ohio. My home parish is St. Francis de Sales which is right down the road from Blessed Sacrament parish. (The church Fr. Tim was at before St. Tim's). I started thinking about the priesthood at around the 5th grade while being an Altar Boy. I kind of put the thought on the back-burner until late-high-school-when people started telling me to be a Priest. It really got to me when Protestant people started telling me that I would make a wonderful priest. I entered the Seminary at the Josephinum in 2011. I have just completed my second year out of eight and I have enjoyed it so far and I am looking forward to the next six years of my seminary life. Some Fun Facts about myself: I love hamburgers and Indian food. My favorite Bible verse is Proverbs 16:32. My favorite prayer is the Salve Regina (Hail Holy Queen). I have four brothers and sisters. And lastly, I love to play a lot of sports. Don't be afraid to ask any question if you see me. As I said before: I am looking forward to getting to know all of you over the summer. God Bless!

In Christ,
Pushkar Baum

No comments:

Post a Comment