Saturday, August 9, 2014

A Word from Your Pastor - August 10

Dear Parishioners:

This past week  (August 4th),  my father, Thomas Hayes, celebrated his 80th Birthday.  My family was gathered together at Myrtle Beach for a bit of vacation.  I made plans to join them for the birthday and so took a few days this week to be away.  Time with family is important and so I am glad to have the chance to connect with my family on such occasions.  Growing up with a big family we never used to have the opportunity to go very far.   In those days, we either had “staycations,” long before the term came into use, or we went only as far as Pittsburgh to spend time with family there.
 
 

Preparations for being away and ensuring that everything is covered while I am gone is a challenge.  Let this be my thank you to all of you who step up to cover details in my absence:  to Fr. Bill for taking care of the daily Masses and to all who assist in any way.  I will be relying on you again, I am sure!

This week, we will celebrate the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  I always delight in this Feast.   It offers us a vision of hope in a world that can forget our high destiny.  Mary, the mother of Jesus, is a human being.  Her cooperation with the graces offered to her opened for us the way to salvation and the gift of a Living Relationship with God beyond anything we could ever have ask for.  The privileges and graces she received are a foretaste and promise of what God has in store for all those who love Him.  The Lord’s gift to Mary is a reminder that the Resurrection of Jesus has made a difference in our human nature itself.  Assumed into glory with her Son, Mary is given a share in the Resurrection, showing us that God can do for us what He has promised.  May we open our hearts to the action of His grace as He calls us to glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment