Sunday, March 19, 2017

A Word from Your Pastor March 19 - Third Sunday of Lent

Dear Parishioners:

The Holy Spirit is active among us.  In a short period of time, we have experienced our annual Confirmation for the 8th Grade class and an amazing day of Retreat for those who have been part of the first Alpha program.  Many have expressed real excitement about what God is doing.  Our Parish Penance Service last week allowed not a few the touch of the Sacrament of Healing.  We are all given something when God works in the hearts of any of our members.  How is God touching your heart?

Lent is always a time to review and renew our commitment to what God asks of us.  This year, we are concentrating on how the Sacraments function among us.  Part of the Examination of Conscience that was used at our Penance service may be useful to you to consider this aspect of your Catholic life.  I invite you to take this to your personal prayer.

How am I living a truly Sacramental Life?

Am I cooperating with the Holy Spirit to become more like Jesus?

Is my life a clear witness of the truth revealed in Scripture and in the Sacraments of the Church?

Do I bring the light of the Gospel to those who are part of my life?

The Sacraments of Initiation are Baptism, Confirmation, Eucharist.

Do I conform my life to Christ through living in awareness of the power of the Sacraments I have received?  Am I faithful to my baptismal vows?  Do I exercise the Gifts of the Spirit?  Do I proclaim the Gospel?  Am I faithful to the Eucharist by receiving the Lord regularly and feeding the spiritually hungry?

Am I growing in Faith, Hope and Love by striving to put into practice the Gospel values?

Am I allowing the Spirit to lead me to a deeper relationship with Jesus and to open my heart more fully to God’s Will in my life?

The Sacraments of Healing are Penance, Anointing of the Sick.

Do I allow the Lord to heal me, bringing to Him my sins and my weakness?

Am I a means of healing for others?

Do I forgive and bring peace to others?

Do those who are sick find me as a true friend, bringing Christ to them and keeping them in touch with the Church’s ministry of comfort and healing?

The Sacraments of Service are Holy Matrimony, Holy Orders.

Do I live in true communion of life with those entrusted to me on the earthly journey?

Am I concerned about the spiritual wellbeing of others, as well as about their physical and emotional needs?

Am I faithful to my own state in life and to the relationships God has given me?

Do the Sacraments shape my mind and heart, drawing me more into a living relationship with the Lord?


As part of our observance of Pope Francis’ call to celebrate “24 Hours for the Lord” on March 24-25, the Sacrament of Reconciliation will be available.  If you missed the Penance Service or if you need another go at spiritual cleanup, you are most welcome.  The Spirit flows best when our spiritual pipes are open.  Come and let the Lord love you with His grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment