Thursday, July 5, 2018

A Word from Your Pastor July 8


It was ten years ago this week, that I arrived at St. Timothy Church as Pastor.  I remember vividly entering into a whirlwind of activity in preparation for my first St. Timothy Festival weekend. 

It seemed that everything came in “fives” at that time: five Masses, five baptisms, five funerals, etc.  We have been moving together just about that quickly ever since.  As we once again enjoy together the fun and challenges of this community gathering, I want to thank all who make it possible: the team of “captains” who work with Joe Lorenz to get things together and to bring it about, the volunteers who take care of all the activities, and, of course, our patrons and guests from home and afar who enjoy the food and fellowship and contribute to the material sustenance of our parish and school.

This week, too, the Diocese of Columbus will be experiencing many changes and moves.  Several priests are retiring from active ministry.  The five newly ordained priests will take up their first assignments as priests in parishes all around the Diocese. More than 20 priests in all will be affected in this round.  When I saw the list of “official appointments” in The Catholic Times, it took my breath away.  I was very happy not to see my name in the list!  We must pray for all the priests and parishes that are involved.  Transition is never easy.  We trust that God’s Spirit is ever at work to open hearts and to continue to breathe new life into the Church.

This weekend, I am away for a wedding out of town.  I offer my thanks to those who fill in for me and to all who make sure that things flow smoothly in my absence.   I am happy that we have our Seminarian Intern, Stephen Ondrey, on hand at the rectory.    He will get a taste of what has to happen when one is alone in a parish as many priests are.  As most folks experience, sometimes it is easier to stay home than to have to make all the arrangements to have things covered when we are away.  I have done what I can, but know that I count on all of you to do your part.  I will be back in time to plunge into the frenzy of the Festival.  Let us pray for good weather and health for all who will join us in this year’s experience and let’s do our best to be ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment