Sunday, November 25, 2018

A Word from Your Pastor November 25 - Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe


Thanksgiving weekend is a special time for families.  It is often a poignant time as well, especially for those who have lost loved ones recently.  Holidays are an annual reminder to all of us of the importance of relationships.  As many of you know, since 1988, I have been the host for Thanksgiving for my family.  That year, I was in a house that I noticed was larger than our family home and volunteered to my mother to take it on.  I did not realize that it would be a lifetime commitment.

Apart from one year when I was away for studies, I have worked to prepare a place for the family and extended family to gather.  I also learned from my grandmother how to cook the turkey (with stuffing) and I do it Grandma’s way each year, starting it in the oven at midnight the night before Thanksgiving.  We have had four different settings, but have made it work wherever I happened to live.  This year, our count was a bit down, only 24 at table.  We have memories of years with 50 or more, including family from Pittsburgh, in-laws and guests.

Rituals are a way that a family keeps together.  This is the reason why the Church calls us to gather each week and on days of special importance for Mass (Sundays and “Holy Days of obligation”).  The rituals we experience tell us who we are and form us as a community.  As a priest, I have been able to offer a special family Mass before we share the Thanksgiving meal.  We all take a turn sharing what we are thankful for in the year past.

As you have heard many times, Eucharist means Thanksgiving.  Gathering to give God thanks, hearing His Word and being fed and nourished by the Risen Lord, we are given the strength to proclaim the truth of the Gospel to an often hostile world.

God’s Love has been shown to us in so many ways.  We are grateful.  May we continue to show our gratitude by coming together as a family and by sharing our Faith so that Jesus may truly be the Savior for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment