Monday, August 26, 2019

A Word from Your Pastor August 25


Dear Parishioners:

It was an irony that my column last weekend spoke about how deeply I have been affected by the deaths of so many of our pioneer parishioners and others who have contributed to our community heritage.  Sunday, August 18, was the day God chose to call my Mother, Elaine Rae Keeley Hayes to Himself.  My sister had contacted us the evening before to let us know that Mom had taken a turn for the worse and that she was worried about her.  I went over right away and was moved to offer my Mother the final rites of the Church.  I gave her the final absolution and the Apostolic Pardon.  Then I celebrated the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick for both her and my Dad, in the presence of my sister Susan and my nephew Tyler.  I gave the Final Commendation, entrusting her to the Lord and His Mercy.  We started to pray a Rosary together until the arrival of the nurse from hospice.  I finished it quietly myself while the nurse did her assessment.  She was not optimistic on Mom’s prognosis but could not give a clear estimate of time.  After it appeared that Mom was resting (and my Dad had gone to bed), I returned to St. Timothy.  I stopped in church and lit a candle for my Mother and one for my sister who has taken such good care of her and our Father.

When I woke up Sunday morning, I received the message that Mom would be celebrating her birthday (August 31) with Jesus.  She had died peacefully in the early hours of the morning.  By the time I received word, I knew that I would not be able to make it home before celebrating the 8 a.m. Mass, so I chose to stay.  My nephew who had been there overnight prayed the prayers of the ritual for after death.  We contacted the funeral home and began the sad task of letting everyone know of Mom’s passing.  I celebrated the 8 a.m. Mass and then was surprised that my sister and nephew showed up for the 10 a.m. Mass.  They knew the need to be with the Church as we acknowledge one more soul among the “great cloud of witnesses.”

Our family moved into high gear and by mid-afternoon had made plans and began to make arrangements for two funeral celebrations – one here at St. Timothy this past Wednesday, and another in Pittsburgh, PA, where my parents have their burial plots.  So, as you can imagine, this past week has been a whirlwind for us all.  The fact that the funeral at St. Timothy was on the opening day of School and the funeral in Pittsburgh was taking place on my 6oth Birthday added to the intensity.

I want to offer heartfelt thanks to all for the condolences and many kindnesses that have been extended to me and my family.  The world is different without my earthly Mother.  But God is faithful and I am confident He will give us all the strength to continue on the journey of Faith.  Please continue to keep my Mother and all my family in your prayers. 

Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord.  May Elaine Rae Keeley Hayes rest in peace.  Amen.

May her soul and all the souls of the faithful departed, through the Mercy of God, rest in peace.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment