Sunday, October 25, 2015

A Word from Your Pastor - October 25

Dear Parishioners:

This past week, I felt compelled to share with my family and others the memory of my “little sister” Becky, who died at the age of 3.  October 19th would have been her 55th Birthday.  She was born into Heaven December 12, 1963.  I was 4 years old at the time.  I shared the picture with family by e-mail and then was moved to put it up on Facebook as well.  The responses of so many to that effort of sharing has been very touching to me and my family.

Becky, who was baptized as a baby, never reached the age when she could fall into sin, so she is a saint in Heaven, which is the promise of Baptism.  I have known her prayer all these years and for some reason just wanted to let others in on the secret.


Have a look at the picture many have seen on Facebook.


Yes, that is Fr. Tim to the left, Becky, and my brother Chuck, just a few months before Becky’s death.  I shared it with my mother in person on Becky’s Birthday and she told me it was her favorite of the pictures we have of Becky.

I am so aware of the Communion of Saints because of the life of Becky, that I want to be sure that you can see it too.  Your loved ones who have entered into the Mystery of Death are not far from you.  If they were ready at life’s end to say their “Yes” fully, they are in Heaven praying for you.  If they were in need of some purification, they pray for you still and they are in need of your prayers for them. 

The celebrations coming up next week – All Saints’ Day (November 1) and All Souls’ Day (November 2) – are the Church’s invitation to keep our unity with the Saints in Glory and the “Holy Souls” in Purgatory in mind as we continue our march through life.  I invite you to take time with your family to talk about those who have gone ahead of you.  Discuss what you think Heaven will be like.  If you have family members are nearing the time of their call, ask who they most look forward to seeing again.

It is not morbid to keep the reality of the fact that this life will end in mind.  We can “befriend” death as the doorway to the Kingdom of God for us.  Keeping in mind the Four Last Things – Death, Judgment, Heaven and Hell – helps to make sense of our life.  We find meaning in all we do in this world because we have Hope in Life Eternal.  We are called to be saints.  As we remember the Communion of Saints, let us strive for the holiness of life and welcome that leads others to God.  When the Saints go marching in, don’t you want to be in that number?

No comments:

Post a Comment