Sunday, October 4, 2015

A Word from Your Pastor - October 4

Dear Parishioners:

Pope Francis is truly all they say he is and more.  The privilege of concelebrating Mass with him in Philadelphia was truly a high point in my life as a priest.  Words cannot capture everything that I would like to share with you, but I will try to offer a couple of points.

First, the opening of the city of Philadelphia to all of us who descended upon them was a clear indication of what God can do with open hearts. As the local mayor and the Pope spoke of it, the city is “the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection.”  Everywhere we went, we found a warm welcome.  There were no strangers, though we were literally from all over the world.

The time with the Pope was magical.  Everyone was excited together at the prospect of seeing him.  At one point, not far from Independence Hall, a group I was standing among was treated to a close-up view of the Popemobile – and we all laughed to discover that it was empty since he had been dropped off by the Lincoln podium where he would be speaking.  A few different times, I got to see the Pope pass by and I have pictures of his arm out the window to prove it.

The Papal Mass gathered hundreds of priests and bishops and cardinals and nearly a million others.  I was in the third row of priests sitting behind three rows of bishops.  That was a great view, except when the bishops put on their miters (their white hats).  Sitting several rows behind me was our parishioner Jonathan Smith, who is a seminarian for the Diocese of Arlington, and who studies at the Seminary in Philadelphia where the Pope and his retinue stayed.




When I was able to distribute Holy Communion, I was in tears.  On the way back, the song “Gift of Finest Wheat” began to be sung and it took me back to 1976, when as a Junior in High School, I attended the Eucharistic Congress in Philadelphia.  The whole experience was very moving personally.


I hear the Pope’s challenge to help everyone know that they are loved by God.  The kind of welcome the “secular city” of Philadelphia was able to give told me that we can do the same.  May we hear the invitation to be a place of welcome for all God’s Children.

See pix of the Pilgrimage here:  https://2015phillypopepilgrimage.shutterfly.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment