Monday, July 8, 2019

A Word from Your Pastor June 30


Dear Parishioners:

As I have often shared with you, one of the discoveries I have made along my journey in the priesthood has been about the Movements of the Church that have been raised up by the Holy Spirit as a Sign of the Times.  These are fascinating communities that bring together persons of great diversity who hear in their own hearts a call to make known some powerful aspect of the Gospel in very personal and practical ways.  The Focolare Movement, formally established by the Catholic Church as “The Work of Mary” is the one that I know best.

This weekend, I am participating in the annual summer gathering that is characteristic of the Focolare Movement known as a “Mariapolis,” that is, a “city of Mary.”  This is more or less a “family retreat” in which the extended family of those familiar with the Movement come together to share life for a few days to work on the task of Unity.  Jesus’ Last Will and Testament was the prayer that “All May be One.”  The Focolare see their call to open their hearts and lives to this prayer, to become a means of Unity within the Church and among all people of good will.

Each year, I spend time with other priests around the United States who are involved with the Focolare.  Our time together always renews me and gives me hope.  In the summer, whenever I can, I try to participate in a Mariapolis.  For many years, the timing did not work out since our parish festival and the Midwest Mariapolis were the same weekend.  This year, happily, the timing is different.  So this weekend, I am participating in the Mariapolis in Green Lake, Wisconsin.

I will return refreshed and renewed by time with a multitude of families who seek Unity.  May prayer is that we together may also be united in our own commitment to fulfill the desire of Jesus’ Heart that all may be One.

No comments:

Post a Comment