Tuesday, June 23, 2020

A Word from Your Pastor June 21 - Post Exile Coronavirus Time



Monday, June 22, will mark my 35th Anniversary of Ordination to the priesthood for the Diocese of Columbus.  I am truly grateful to God for this gift.  These years have passed by so quickly.  When I take the course of my life in a quick glance, I am in awe of all that God has permitted me to experience in this time.  It is humbling to realize that what I remember happening has really happened to me. 

Another simple realization is that I have spent a full third of my priesthood here at St. Timothy Church.    These past 12 years have zoomed by and taught me so much about God’s ways among His People.

A second third was spent in Newark, at the Church of the Blessed Sacrament, my first pastorat.  The first third had me in a variety of ministerial experiences: Parish life (St. Mary, Lancaster; St. Brendan, Hilliard; and St. Joan of Arc, Powell), Teaching (the Catholic elementary schools where I have served, Fisher Catholic High School in Lancaster, the Pontifical College Josephinum Seminary, and the School for the Permanent Diaconate in the Diocese of Columbus), Vocations Ministry for several years; and one year of study to complete a License in Biblical Theology.  Through all of this, I have been amazed and humbled at the Providence of God, Who hears the cry of our hearts.

My prayer is that the next “phase” of my life will allow me to continue to grow in knowledge and Love of God and in my capacity to respond to His Will in my life.  As Dag Hammarskjöld, the Secretary-General of the United Nations in the 1950’s, said in his private journal called Markings, “For all that has been, Thanks. To all that shall be, Yes.”

My prayer for St. Timothy Parish is that you will continue to grow as a community of Love, united in mind and heart, ready to go where the Good Shepherd leads you.

Know that you will remain in my prayers as I continue my journey in the priesthood.

Pray for the members of our parish who are pursuing God’s Call in their lives, especially Deacon Jonathan Smith, ordained a deacon for the Diocese of Arlington, on June 13, and for Brandon Cullinan, who will be starting his Senior year in College at the Josephinum, a seminarian for the Diocese of Columbus.  May these young men be joyful servants of the Lord and may there be many who follow their example.


News about Deacon Jonathan Smith, of St. Timothy Parish

Deacon Jonathan Smith gave his first homily at the Basilica of Saint Mary on June 14, the Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ. Smith was ordained to the diaconate by Bishop Michael Burbidge on June 13 at the Cathedral of Saint Thomas More in Arlington.
“Today we celebrate the Body and Blood of Christ truly present in the Eucharist,” Smith said during his homily. “I think this feast hits closer to home this year since many of us were unable to participate in the celebration of the Eucharist for so long. As much as we were longing to receive Jesus in the Eucharist, Jesus has been longing to be received by us so much more.”
You can watch his first homily as a Deacon here:      https://youtu.be/-hFSAI5N6jE.

Congratulations to Deacon Jonathan, to his parents Mike and Mary Smith, and to all his family.  We are proud of you for your example and witness of a joyful response to the Lord’s call.

No comments:

Post a Comment