Monday, February 5, 2018

A Word from Your Pastor February 4

At the present time, due to the absence of our usual office staff due to illnesses, I find that I am doing a lot of “in house” work, attending to details that usually are taken care of by Lucy Hickey and Jane Imber.  This experience takes me back to the days when I was at St. Timothy Parish as a seminarian, the summer of 1983.  It just so happened that year that Fr. Ted Thomas, the Pastor, and Lucy Hickey, the Parish Secretary, had arranged to take their vacations at the same time.  Before she left, Lucy let me in on some of the secrets of how the Office functioned, so I could assist with the essentials while those in charge were away.

When Fr. Ted came back from his vacation, I mentioned something to him about what happened in the Office.  He responded, “Oh, that’s how we do it.”  I realized in that moment that parish priests often don’t know how things are done, but rely on the staff to do them.  Happily, since those days, I have kept in touch with the basics.  And so, in the absence of the usual workers, I am able to keep things moving, while not exactly seamlessly, at least in the right direction.  When I told a priest friend that I had to work on the bulletin, he told me that he would not have a clue as to how to do that.  I consider myself blessed to have worked with office staff through my years of priesthood who have let me know how they do what they do.

I am most grateful to Lucy and Jane and our bookkeeper Dottie Cocola and all who have kept things running smoothly both when I am here and when I am away.  Please join me in prayer for a return to health for our staff and to their speedy return to repair my mistakes while they are away.  Thanks go out to those who are volunteering to fill in, Rita Feige, Dan McCallister and Kathleen Carlson.  We ask for your patience as we try to figure things out to get back to you when you happen to call.


It has occurred to me that we really need to create a list of skills that our parishioners may have that can be useful. Do you have an office skill that you might be able to offer to us so we won’t have to rely on the Pastor in the future?  I would love to have a team of folks ready to cover what needs to be done.  Send us a note or give us a call to let us know what you can offer.  If God has given you a talent or a gift, it is for others.  Your parish might just have a place for you!  Thanks to all who work so diligently behind the scenes to keep us on track.  You are appreciated even if we don’t always mention it.  We certainly miss you when you are away!

No comments:

Post a Comment